Baptism is an important milestone in your Christian walk. It is an outward expression of your inward confession and faith in Christ. Baptism classes are Sundays at 9:40 a.m. and Wednesdays at 8 p.m., immediately following Bible Study. Baptisms are performed every Sunday at the 11:00 service and every Wednesday at the beginning of Bible Study, unless otherwise notified.
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING BAPTIZED
I. WHY SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
1. To FOLLOW the example set by Jesus.“At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river.” Mark 1:92. Because Christ COMMANDED it.
“Jesus said, ‘Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you.’ ” Matt. 28:19-20
3. It demonstrates that I really am a BELIEVER.
“–many of the people who heard Him believed and were baptized.” Acts 18:8
“We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands.” I John 2:3
II. WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
1. It illustrates Christ’s DEATH, BURIAL and RESURRECTION.
“Christ died for our sins– He was buried– and He rose again.” I Cor. 15:3-4
“For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ.” Col. 2:12
2. It illustrates my BIRTH as a Christian.
“When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!” II Cor. 5:17
BAPTISM DOESN’T MAKE YOU A BELIEVER — it shows that you ARE a believer. Baptism does not save you, only your faith in Christ can do that. Baptism is like a wedding ring–it is the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart.
III. WHY BE BAPTIZED BY IMMERSION?
1. Because JESUS was baptized that way.“As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water.” Matthew 3:162. Every baptism in the NEW TESTAMENT was by immersion. (Example) “– then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water –” Acts 8:38-39
2. The word “baptize” means “to DIP UNDER water.”
3. The Greek word bapitizo means “to immerse or dip under water.”
4. It best symbolizes a burial and resurrection!
The founders of denominations agree:
Martin Luther — “I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the word imports and the mystery signifies.”
John Calvin — “The word ‘baptize’ signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the ancient church.”
John Wesley — ‘buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church.”
IV. WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
Every person who has BELIEVED in Christ.
“Those who believed and accepted His message were baptized–” Acts 2:41
“Simon himself believed and was baptized…” Acts 8:13
“But when they believed Philip as he preached the Good News — and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.” Acts 8:12